I slept in late today (i.e. past lunch) and worried I’d be in for another depressive weekend. I’m supposed to get some work done this weekend, so that was hardly the best start.
The good news is that I’m starting to get over my nasty summer cold. But it’s still lingering a bit and today I was struck by a major urge to clean. No need to succumb to allergies right after the cold!
So after showering and going out for coffee, I really went at it. Removed all the clutter I’d piled in my apartment as I was moving things around between my two storage units. Took down the recycling that had piled up. Found that something is wrong with the attachment on my vacuum so I actually went around my bedroom on my hands and knees with just the hose, vacuuming up every speck of dust, cat hair and dust bunnies. I did so much cleaning I actually worked up a sweat, so I’m feeling more energized. Might finally be ready to work soon.
This seems to be quite a routine for me, established in university. I have something I need to study or work on and first thing I have to do? Clean, rearrange furniture, make everything just so. I’m glad to have gotten the urge today, as I really tackled some of the cleaning I’d left half-finished for a awhile. It feels nice to clear those burdens.
Now I’m pausing for a break and some lemonade, but I think this has turned the tide for the weekend and I should be able to stay productive.
After my little crash this weekend, I’ve realized that I’m under a lot of stress. So I’m trying to do what I can to manage it.
1) Work – for once, not a problem!
2) Daily yoga – I’ve decided that this was just too much now that I’m working and doing the teacher training.
3) Fitness – I need a stress outlet and more cardio. So instead of doing daily yoga (I’ll still go every few days) I’ve decided to go back to the gym. Because, you know, I’ve been paying for it! My plan is to start running again in twenty minute stints and to swim or cycle. My goal is twenty minutes of good cardio per day (much more reasonable than 90 minutes of yoga per day!). To make this happen, I’m going to drive to work and then stop at the gym before going home. Already my gym bag is packed and ready by the door.
4) Finances – This is probably my biggest stressor right now. I just found out that I have a hefty tax bill, in addition to my other debts to manage. I haven’t fully managed this yet, but I think I now have a plan to keep everything finely balanced this month. Hopefully next month it won’t be such a pinch! But having the big picture is helping somewhat.
5) Homework: I have a lot! But I plan to tackle it in chunks of twenty minutes per day.
6) Physical health – I’m struggling with a cold or allergies again and I also have a massive headache from my clenched jaws. I. Addition to the continued tummy troubles. I’m trying to take it easy to manage these. I’m also looking up self-massage techniques for the jaw.
7) Cleaning and organizing – This is something I ignored during my yoga binge. I want to stay on top of this by doing at least one task per day. It would probably only take five minutes!
I think that by removing the 90-minute-per-day yoga obligation and substituting other smaller tasks to stay on top of things I should hopefully be able to better manage my stress.
Those are the two words I would use to describe today.
I was very sociable, with six people over at various times throughout the day. It started at 8 am with the repair guy. That wasn’t so fun but it got me up at eight and I got a head start on my cleaning while waiting for him to finish. Then I napped.
At lunch I started cleaning again, this time with a full vacuum and wash of the floors. Everything is so nice and tidy!
I then had an unexpected visitor. And I hadn’t yet showered because I had to wait for the newly re-grouted tile to dry in the bathroom. I’m impressed that despite being grubby I didn’t pretend not to be home. I answered the call and invited the guest up. Progress.
After this visit I was again rather tired so I decided to have a nice bath. Screw the drying grout: I covered it with Saran Wrap!
That helped refresh and revive me then it was time to cook for my four evening guests. I never cook. So it felt like quite an accomplishment. 🙂 I think this is the first time I was ever prepared for guests at ten minutes before the appointed time.
It was a fantastic gathering. I used to always host friends but since depression hit I was less and less social. So this was a really good night.
The only flaw with today (aside from the nap) is that I didn’t do any exercise. I did, however, do everything else on the list and more.
So tomorrow I’m making only two goals: 1) exercise and 2) have a fun night out with my friend.
Well, I think you can say that I was exhausted this week. Between working a complete week and being sick, I was a bit wiped. So the nap was just in order.
It is insanely cold outside, -25C!, so I am staying in tonight. Alas, no gym. I suppose I did a total of thirty minutes of walking though. Something at least.
Now that I’ve powered up with a nap, I’m getting a lot of things done. Doing all of my laundry so that I don’t have an excuse to miss a Christmas gathering tomorrow; washing the dishes; getting things sorted so that I can focus on job applications this weekend.
I’m even cleaning up my blog! Since I’m on the computer rather than the tablet, I think its time to sort out categories versus tags. And this weekend I may even finish two blog posts I started a long time ago!